Organic woodland certified 4-year American ginseng root
American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) is one of my all-time favorite herbs. A perfect match for the tired-and-wired modern condition, this energizing, adaptogenic root nourishes and restores dry, depleted states and is appropriate for many different constitutional types.
Many people think of “ginseng” as overtly stimulating, but that refers to the more commonly available Panax ginseng (sometimes called Korean, Asian, or Red ginseng). Think of American ginseng as Panax ginseng’s sexy, mellow cousin who cheers you on no matter what, and makes you feel great every time you hang out with them.
In practice, I don’t know what I would do without this incredibly useful herb. American ginseng is a foundation for support in many conditions I see in folks coming to me, including:
- Low energy/adrenal fatigue
- Hot flashes
- Low libido
- Feeling “brittle” or not resilient
- Brain fog
- Moistening tonic for dry tissue states, including vaginal dryness
- Recurrent sore throat with no underlying medical problem
- Recovery from febrile illnesses/infections—rebuilding energy and strength after harsh viral infections, pneumonias, and bronchitis
- Restorative for inflamed lungs
Research supports American ginseng use (in humans!) for:
- Fatigue—all types, especially cancer-related fatigue
- Neuroprotection and Cognition enhancement—including improvements in working memory
- Blood sugar regulation—considered a safe adjunct to Type 2 diabetes management
- Blood thinning
In vitro and animal studies exhibit an even broader array of benefits, including inhibition of tumor cell lines and cardioprotection.
In the wild, American ginseng is at risk/endangered (depending upon state) due to overharvesting for the international herb trade, as well as habitat loss. And much cultivated American ginseng on the market is either not organic, or of questionable quality. Ginsenosides, the steroidal compounds that are part of what makes American ginseng so special, take years to develop in the root.
We worked with our herbal medicine maker to source an organic woodland certified 4-year American ginseng root especially for Farmacopia, even though this required a significant financial investment on our part. This is just one of the examples of Farmacopia’s commitment to our most important stakeholder: the environment.
Check out these popular Farmacopia signature formulas contain our incredible American ginseng extract:
- Nourishing Lung
- LB Nourish
- Throat Quencher Spray
Q: Why is your American ginseng tincture called “The One”?
A: Lily often says that if she had to choose one herb to work with, it would be American ginseng. The other “One” for Lily is Reishi, but that’s a mushroom ;).